If you're experiencing dry, dull, or flaky skin, know that you are not alone. Especially during the winter months, many people suffer from dry skin on the face and other areas of the body. There are a number of factors that contribute to dry skin, including:
- Aging and hormonal changes.
- Skin conditions like dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Environmental factors like overall climate, low humidity, and extreme cold.
- Hot showers.
- Harsh cleansers that strip the skin of its natural oils.
Fortunately, there are things we can do to combat the dry skin struggle. Here are a few top tips:
- Keep yourself hydrated. We know this can be tough to remember to do, especially when it's cooler outside. Carrying a large water bottle with you wherever you go usually helps as a reminder. Caffeine and alcohol also depletes us of a lot of hydration in our bodies. Additionally, the type of water you are drinking matters; try to drink filtered water whenever possible. Pro tip: add in some electrolytes to boost hydration and energy levels. We are personally big fans of Re-Lyte products.
- Don't over-exfoliate or strip your skin barrier, especially during the cleansing process. Opt for a gentle cleanser like our Coconut & Aloe Cleanser and don't use a lot of water when cleansing - ideally remove the cleanser with a gentle facial towel like our Bamboo Facial Cloth.
- If your environment is extra dry in your home or office, consider purchasing a humidifier, which can help a ton.
- Moisturize at least twice a day. Our Sandalwood Cream, Blue Tansy Cream, Prickly Pear Face Oil, and Cocoa Eye Butter are all incredible moisturizers. Bonus tip: layer them on or mix together for extra dewy-ness!
Those are our top tips for combatting dry skin this winter! If you have additional questions about how to care for your skin this season, feel free to reach out to our Director of Esthetics, Maddy at: email@example.com. Cheers to cozy nights in and the promise of Spring!